Center for Teaching Advancement and Assessment Research116 College Avenue
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
New Brunswick, NJ 08901 http://ctaar.rutgers.edu/
Phone: (848) 932-7466
Fax: (732) 932-1845
Using Scanned Tests & Clicker Data in Sakai
If you use scanned tests or clickers in your classes, uploading that data into the Sakai gradebook is a simple process (especially if you use the new "Gradebook 2" tool). After uploading tests scores, each student will be able to see how he or she performed without seeing any information about other students.
All scanner and clicker systems have the ability to export or save their data as an Excel spreadsheet. Please consult the instructions that come with your system for the exact details. For the CTAAR scanner, refer to our Benchmark scanning instructions. If you are using iClicker, you can set it to export directly to Sakai format, and skip Excel entirely.
You must also collect either the students' RUID or NetID with the test or clicker system (it is not necessary to collect both, and Sakai will fill in the names automatically). If using scannable test forms, instruct the students to bubble in their RUID numbers. If using a clicker system, have the students include their RUID or NetID when they register their clickers.
- It is only necessary to use Excel if you need to change the data. If you use the "Sakai Gradebook2" format when scanning or set iClicker to "Sakai" you can skip Excel entirely.
- Open your scanner data file in Excel
- Make sure the first row of data contains column names. If necessary, add a row and type column names.
- Make sure the first column of data contains either the students' RUID or NetID. If you need to rearrange the columns, do the following:
- Click column "A" so that the whole column is selected (do this by clicking the letter "A" at the top of the column).
- Insert a new column. For Excel 2007 or newer versions that have a "ribbon", do this by clicking the "Home" ribbon, then clicking the "Insert" button. For older versions of Excel, click the "Insert" menu and choose "column".
- Click the letter above the column that contains the RUID (or NetID) so that the whole column is selected. For instance, if the RUID is in column "C", you will click the "C" at the top of the column.
- "Cut" the column (you can use the "cut" button, or hit "cntl-x" on your keyboard ("command-x" on a Macintosh), or use the "Edit" menu.
- Click on column "A", so that the whole column is selected.
- "Paste" by clicking the "paste" button, hiting "cntl-v" on your keyboard ("command-v" on a Macintosh), or use the "Edit" menu. The RUID or NetID column should now be in the first position.
- If necessary, remove any extraneous data such as extra rows that do not contain student data, or extra columns that you do not want to add to the Sakai gradebook.
- Choose "Save as..." or "Export as..." from the "File" menu.
- Choose the "Comma Delimited (.csv)" format
- Give your file a new name, including a ".csv" at the end.
- When saving as .csv you will see 2 or 3 irrelevant "warnings" from Excel, you must click "yes" or "ok" to proceed. The ".csv" format saves only the results of your formulas, so Sakai can read them.
- When you close your document or quit Excel, you will be asked if you want to save (even though you did save already). In most cases, you can click cancel. However if you used any formulas or calculations, you should save in the "XLS" or "XLSX" format in addition to your CSV file.
In Sakai (using the original "Gradebook" tool):
- If using the Datalink Scanner, choose the "Sakai Gradebook2" format for the gradebook export, but rename the file to use a ".csv" instead of ".txt" filename.
- Choose your course tab, and go to the Gradebook tool.
- Click “Gradebook Items”
- Click the "Import gradebook item from spreadsheet" link (be sure you do not use the "import grades" link - both links do very similar things but have different instructions).
- Click the "Upload spreadsheet (csv or xls format) to Loading Dock" link.
- Type in a "title" and click "choose file"
- Click "choose file" (depending on your web browser, this may say "Browse") again to select the Excel or CSV file that you saved earlier.
- Click "Continue".
- Click "Save". If you see an error that the file is in the wrong format, please make sure that the file name ends with ".csv" instead of ".txt".
- Review the confirmation page that shows what information will be imported, then click "save".
- Click the "Import" link to the right of the spreadsheet that you just uploaded.
- Important! Click the round button above the column of data that you want to add to the gradebook.
- Check to make sure that Sakai has correctly identified your students. If you see "unknown student" in the "Student Name" column, you will need to double-check that student's RUID or NetID and make sure that student is listed in your Sakai site.
- Click "Import Selected".
- Give the gradebook item a relevant name, a point value, set any other options as desired, and click "submit".
- Click "All Grades" or "Gradebook Items" to verify that your data has been entered, and you are done.
In Sakai (using the alternate "Gradebook 2" tool)
- Choose your course tab, and go to the "Gradebook 2" tool.
- Click "Tools"
- Click "Import"
- In the "Import Format" section, choose "No Structure Gradebook".
- Click "Browse"
- Select the CSV file you created earlier, or that you previously exported from the scanner or clicker software. Note that the file name must end with ".csv" - if Sakai rejects your file, just change the name.
- Click "Next". If you see an error message or nothing happens, make sure the file name ends with ".csv" instead of ".txt".
- Note any warnings about missing students, then click "OK". You will need to double-check that student's RUID or NetID and make sure the student is listed in your Sakai site, and that the student RUID is recorded correctly in your CSV file.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, enter the total number of possible points for the quiz or assignment.
- Click "Next"
- Click "Done"
- The left-hand side of the gradebook will now show the names of the new columns that you imported. If you used the Benchmark scanner "Sakai Gradebook2" format, these will be named "score", "#correct" and "percentage". Students cannot see these columns or their grades at this point.
- Double-click the column name on the left-hand side, or right-cilck and choose "edit this grade item".
- On the right hand side, rename the column appropriately for this test or assignment. Place a check mark next to "Release Scores" if you want students to see their scores, then click "Save/Close".
- On the left hand side, place a checkmark next to the column name (the checkmark allows you to show or hide columns in the gradebook; this only affects the instructor's view).
- Important notes for Benchmark Scanner users: Sakai will reject the file if there is already a gradebook column with the same name. The "Sakai Gradebook2" format always uses the names "score", "#correct" and "percentage".
- You need to rename one of the three imported columns based on your grading method, and delete the other two (right-click and choose "delete this grade item", or double-click and then click the "delete" button).
- If you scan multiple versions of the same test, you should combine them into one file before importing into Sakai (use any text editor like NotePad, WordPad or TextEdit, and just copy and paste from one file to the other).
- If you scan a new test, make sure you renamed or deleted the columns from your previous scanning session before importing the new scanning data into Sakai.