Instructions for Student Volunteers
Conducting the Student Instructional Rating Survey
Thank you for agreeing to monitor the survey of this class. After the instructor has left the room, please follow the steps given below:
- Please distribute the Student Instructional Rating Survey forms to the class. Keep the "header" sheet with the instructor's or TA's name (if the instructor has not filled out the header sheet, please write in the instructor's name where it says "your name").
- Ask the students to write the course number and instructor's or TA's name at the top of the form. The instructor should have written this information on the board before leaving the room.
- Tell the class that
there are three parts to the Student
Instructional Rating Form, Parts A, B
Remind them that they should mark
their responses with care. Students must use a dark
pencil, a black pen or a dark blue pen.
Red or other color ink or pencil cannot be read by the scanner and will not be counted.
A consists of ten questions that students should answer by marking
the appropriate response box next to the questions. Please
ask students to fill the response box completely; check marks,
x's and circled responses cannot be read by the scanner.
Any incomplete erasures or double-responses will not be read
accurately by the scanner.
Please tell the students to note that the response fields for each question read from left to right, with the lowest scored response - 1 - ("strongly disagree" or "poor") to the far left and the highest scored response - 5 - (
excellent) to the far right.
- Part B: Part B consists of blank spaces for questions, numbered 11 through 19, provided by the instructor or the department offering the course. If there are no questions given for this section, then the students should leave the response boxes for Part B blank.
- Part C: Part C on the back of the Student Instructional Rating Form is the Comments section. Students may write their answers directly on the form in the space provided.
- Part A: Part A consists of ten questions that students should answer by marking the appropriate response box next to the questions. Please ask students to fill the response box completely; check marks, x's and circled responses cannot be read by the scanner. Any incomplete erasures or double-responses will not be read accurately by the scanner.
- When the students are finished marking the forms, please collect them. Put the completed forms and the header sheet into the original envelope.
- Tell the students that they can see the results of the survey at http://sirs.rutgers.edu/ (results are usually available about three months after the end of the semester)
- Seal the envelope, and return it within 24 hours to the department's undergraduate office or to the Center for Teaching Advancement and Assessment Research at 116 College Avenue on the corner of Bartlett Street (you may use the mail slot in the door after 4:30 pm).
- You may drop the envelop in campus mail drop (located in student centers, campus post offices, or at most administrative offices). For your convenience, the envelope has already been addressed to the Center for Teaching Advancement and Assessment Research.