Conducting Online SIRS in Class
Information for the Instructor
You should receive an email approximately two weeks before your survey is to begin with the details for your surveys. Your name and course titles are copied from the Schedule of Classes, as listed in the first week of the semester, and reviewed by your department administrators. Please reply to this email if you would like to correct the course title or your name, change the survey dates, or add or remove courses from your survey list. If you cannot find your email, we also post the same information to the current surveys list on our web site. Please be aware of the deadlines for making changes, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org please replace
brokenmail with ctaar.rutgers.edu if you need more information.
- To promote student participation, we suggest that you conduct the survey in the classroom, during the last two weeks of classes. If at all possible, do not conduct the survey on the last day of class.
- Write to us (reply to the survey email) if you would like to change your survey dates to better fit your course schedule.
- Write the link to the survey on the blackboard, or project it to the screen - https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal/site/sirs
- Students can use any laptop, tablet, or web-enabled phone (iPhone, Android phone, etc.) to take the survey. They may also take the survey through the official Rutgers Mobile App, via the Sakai link.
- Please leave the classroom before the students begin to complete the Student Instructional Rating Survey.
- If it is not possible for you to conduct the survey in class, please consider some of the other suggestions for encouraging student participation.
Additional Information and Resources
- If you are not certain if your classroom has WiFi access, consult the list of RUWireless buildings (all buildings on the list are WiFi-enabled).
- Prior to class students should connect their devices to the “RU Wireless Secure” network. Once done, their device will reconnect automatically when needed, saving time.
- Students who have trouble logging in to RU Wireless or Sakai should go to NetID.rutgers.edu, contact the OIT Help Desk for their campus, or stop by any OIT computer lab for assistance.
- When using cell phones, it is not necessary for students to connect to RU Wireless - they may use their own cell phone data service.
- As the instructor, you will not see the survey listed if you follow the student link. The video below shows what the survey will look like for students who access it using a cell phone.
The following video shows what the SIRS looks like when using a smart phone.