Center for Teaching Advancement and Assessment Research116 College Avenue
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
New Brunswick, NJ 08901 http://ctaar.rutgers.edu/
Phone: (848) 932-7466
Fax: (732) 932-1845
Suggestions for Student Instructional Rating Surveys
Students: Most course surveys are at https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal/site/sirs (or log in to Sakai and click "All Surveys").
Some courses are part of a pilot program, and will find their surveys at https://sirs.ctaar.rutgers.edu/pilot
Student Access to the surveys:
- For most courses, direct your students to https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal/site/sirs - or from the Sakai front page they can log in and click "All Surveys" to find their surveys.
- If your course in the pilot program (Law, Bloustein, SSW, SMLR, SBC, and SC&I, or taught through Canvas), direct your students to https://sirs.ctaar.rutgers.edu/pilot instead of Sakai.
- Students may check their email for links to the surveys for their courses, the email will come from "Rutgers SIRS". Email reminders will stop arriving when they complete their surveys. The email is sent to the addresses listed in the roster. Since the address in the roster may not be current, please do not rely on the automatic emails alone. Students who have not updated their records with an email address will not receive email messages.
- The survey is also accessible through the offical Rutgers App - http://oss.rutgers.edu/mobile/ - via the "Sakai" icon.
- Students must log in with their NetID. All students, including non-Rutgers summer and winter students, and students in joint programs with NJIT or other institutions are assigned a NetID when they first register for a course and must set a password by following the instructions at https://netid.rutgers.edu/activateNetId.htm
- Ask any students who cannot access the surveys to contact us directly at ctaar@ remove this before sending docs.rutgers.edu . Most problems are due to individual student account issues (deregistration, incorrect login information, etc.), so it is important for us to work directly with the student when resolving the problem.
Encourage Student Participation
Students are expected to complete the Student Instructional Ratings Survey at the end of the course. Please notify your students of the survey before the starting date and take a few minutes to discuss the importance of their participation. Consider taking some of the following actions:
- Include a statement on your syllabus that you expect all students to complete the Student Instructional Rating Survey.
- If your classroom has wifi access, provide some time during class for the students to complete the survey.
- Conduct the survey during the last two weeks of classes. If at all possible, do not conduct the survey on the last day of class. If you would like us to change your survey availability dates to better fit your schedule, please reply to your survey email with your preferred dates.
- Use time at the start or the middle of the class period. Students may use time at the end of the period as a chance to leave class early.
- Write the link to the survey on the blackboard, or project it to the screen - https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal/site/sirs
- The survey is accessible on laptops, tablets and most
smartphones that have a full-featured web browser, and through the Rutgers App (via the Sakai link).
- Please leave the classroom before the students begin to complete the Student Instructional Rating Survey.
- When the survey begins, take some class time to discuss the importance of the survey.
- Give the students personal examples of how you have used prior surveys to improve your teaching.
- Provide students with examples of constructive criticisms that you have found to be helpful.
- Remind your students that their feedback through the survey process is designed to help instructors learn about their teaching strategies, and to help departments in planning and designing future courses.
- Assure your students that their comments and the survey data are reported anonymously. Instructors never see any identifying information.
- Invite students to view survey data from previous semesters at https://sirs.ctaar.rutgers.edu/
- Use informal, midcourse surveys throughout the term.
- Inform the students that the surveys are used by the University in promotion, tenure, and reappointment decisions.
Additional frequently asked questions
Online SIRS dates and information